Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Occidental College Illustrations

A few months ago, I was asked by Occidental College in California to draw a few illustrations for a recruiting booklet.  The assignment was a fun challenge -- mixing location drawings along with some portraits of famous alumni.

Below are a few of the illustrations I did for this assignment.


This was a very wide wraparound cover for the booklet, featuring the college on the front with Los Angeles visible on the back.  I painted this in gouache and ink on paper - the only drawing I did "traditionally" for this project.



Another view of the campus, this time drawn digitally.  One downside of digital illustration is that drawing foliage takes twice as long as drawing it traditionally!

I drew 10 Alumni portraits, a few of which are shown below.  The fellow with the giant Monty Python hand in the shot is, of course, Terry Gilliam.  They were all drawn digitally.